Friday, November 17, 2006

Agora? Who or What is it?

Chicago has long been a city full of culture. From the Art Institute to the Field Museum to the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago has something to interest everyone. Even the once controversial Millennium Park, overbudget and behind schedule, has finally given new life to a formally non-descript piece of land. And you can't forget CloudGate, otherwise lovingly known to most Chicagoans as "the Bean."


The latest addition to the Millennium landscape is "Agora," a cluster of 106 9ft steel figures without heads or arms by Magdalena Abakanowicz. The artist says, "it represents, in part, crowds of people walking brainlessly through life."

As with most pieces of art, the reception has been mixed. I myself have not yet seen it, but plan to in the near future. What I have found most fascinating is how each individual has infused their own meaning into "Agora." That, in my opinion, is one of the greatest things about artwork.

I'm interested, have you seen "Agora?" Let me know what you think of it.

Photos Courtesy of David Morgan and ABC7Chicago.com