Thursday, November 02, 2006

Carbon Monoxide...Don't forget about it

I was in an inspection the other day and as I'm going through the home with the inspector, we had a little chuckle over the fact that the extremely nice plug-in carbon monoxide detector was laying in a kitchen drawer. I mean the seller actually went out and spent good money on the detector and it had been relegated to the nearest drawer. Truthfully, carbon monoxide isn't a laughing matter. It kills between 500-1000 people a year and makes hundreds more sick. Winter is of course the worst time of year for carbon monoxide poisonings since we're buttoned up as tight as possible in our homes and, have those furnaces and space heaters running overtime. As of January 1st it will be required by law in Illinois that every residence has a carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Regardless of the law, there is no reason not to have one. They can be picked up Walgreens, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc for anywhere from $20-$50 depending on how fancy you get. It's just not worth the risk.

Danger of carbon monoxide hits close to home for family
Help yourself to a healthy home